On Tue, 21 Mar 2023, at 13:59, Seymour J Metz wrote:
> And bum is equivalent to the a-word.

Yes of course, but there's still a difference in severity been (say) calling
someone an a*s/ar*e and the other ... though there is (in Scotland, and
for all I know elsewhere too) a vernacular way (maybe commonest in
Glasgow?) in which referring to eg "that bunch of people" over there
as "they c*nts" is much less offensive than saying directly to your pal
or shouting across the street "you're a c*nt". In this sense "they c*nts"
is no worse than "those blokes".

(NB I'm not precious about using the word but some people's email
systems especially on corporate systems might not like me using it
in full.)

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.