On Sun, 19 Mar 2023 at 21:28, Bob Bridges <robhbrid...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure it's not only British authors, but American too if one goes
> back far enough, whom I caught using "faggot" to mean a piece of wood for a
> fire.  From there to a cigarette is an easy step.

The root is from "bundle" of sticks and small pieces of wood, and by
expansion to bundles of other things.

> How the word came to describe an underclassman at a British boarding school,
> required to run errands for upper classmen, I'm not sure.

I don't think it does - I believe the errand-running boys at certain
British schools were "fag"s, which has other roots entirely - probably
a variation on "flag" as in become tired out, says OED. Probably these
two words have been conflated only in 20th century chiefly American
use into the once common derogatory term.

BTW your favorite C. S. Lewis is a quoted source for the verb "fag":

4. School slang (originally and chiefly in certain British independent
boarding schools for boys). Now historical and rare.
 a. transitive. Of a senior pupil: to make (a junior pupil) one's fag
(fag n.3 1b). Also: to compel (a junior pupil) to carry out a task or
chore. Also with complement indicating the nature of the task or
chore.
[...]
1955   C. S. Lewis Surprised by Joy vi. 96   This could be done only
if one escaped being fagged as a shoeblack.

Tony H.