While I see where you went with your thought process, the mainframe I don’t
think will ever get to a windows or Android mentality.

I mean I know IBM wants to make the mainframe less complex, but by design that
can only go so far.

For example, How many SMPE environments does a company have? How many Catalogs>
How are the volumes laid out?  RES, DLIB, CATALOG, Paging, ETC...

Can you sort of automate the day to day management, or operations, yes.  Or how
about how is maintenance applied, If I use your examples of windows/Android.
Its live update, not sure that would fly in any company.  And whats my backout
if something doesn’t work? Think of what you said, your reset your phone and
started again.. Hmmmm

z/OSMF is the IBM forced method here, and they have taken a process that has
worked for 25+ years,  like I want to copy the old config settings from a
previous z/OS install.  Why should I have to re-invent that wheel every time I
install z/OS?  I use to be able to do a serverpac in a few hours, now with the
z/OSMF response time and issues, that isn’t possible.

I still like the option that was mentioned, 2 switches, Novice, which forces
you do everything and advanced, which would allow me to bypass steps or under
the cover processes, IBM is forcing!!  Its just like windows, when I select
advanced install option.

In a way I am glad I have only 7 more years left until retirement.  I love the
mainframe and z/OS, but I avoid z/OSMF like the plague, I will only use it for
z/OS installs only because I am forced too..

Ms Terri E Shaffer
Senior Systems Engineer,
z/OS Support:
ACIWorldwide – Telecommuter