On 8/1/23 7:20 PM, David Crayford wrote:
What’s the difference between between channelized I/O and a rack of x86 servers connected to a SAN using fibre channel driven by high speed HBAs?

I don't know.

My understanding is that Fibre Channel is an evolution of SCSI which is supposedly a somewhat intelligent controller wherein the OS asks said controller to fetch / store some data for it. As I understand it, the OS & main CPU aren't involved in the transfer beyond asking the controller to do the transfer on it's behalf.

I'd have to reference documentation to see if / how much Direct Memory Access comes into play vs the CPU's involvement in the transfer to / from the controller.

But between the controller and the back end drive, as I understand it, the CPU ins't involved.

So I can't say that "a rack of x86 servers connected to a SAN using fibre channel" isn't using channelized I/O. I think in many ways they are.

This is a place where minutia matters.

Grnat. . . .