Take for example an Emulex (Broadcom) HBA. The quad port adapter can handle up
to 10M IOPS with a throughput rate of 12,800MB/s full duplex using 16-lane PCIe
which utilities DMA. All I/O is offloaded, interrupts, multiplexing etc. When
you consider that a standard commodity rack server such as an AMD EPYC can
support 128 PCIe lanes and up to 8 memory channels I would suggest x86 can
handle a lot of I/O if you have the right gear.

https://docs.broadcom.com/doc/LPe35000-LPe36000-PB