> I was just using emacs as ordinary text editor

For me, an ordinary text editor is one that includes a good macro facility, and
I write new macros at the drop of a hat. If and when I learn emacs, learning
LISP will be part and parcel of that.

"Emacs is a great operating system that desperately needs a text editor"

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3