On Tue, Aug 22, 2023 at 12:51:00PM +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:
> > I was just using emacs as ordinary text editor
>
> For me, an ordinary text editor is one that includes a good macro
> facility, and I write new macros at the drop of a hat. If and when I
> learn emacs, learning LISP will be part and parcel of that.
>
> "Emacs is a great operating system that desperately needs a text editor"

Maybe people say so because they expected something else.

Anyway, if you have a decent installation of emacs (i.e. wholesome,
whereas some systems divide whole into some parts, like binaries plus
ELisp files compiled for speed, ELisp source code, manuals)... but if
you have it all, then just do "C-h i" and you will be presented, among
other things, with:

* Emacs: (emacs).               The extensible self-documenting text
  editor.
* Emacs FAQ: (efaq).            Frequently Asked Questions about
  Emacs.
* Elisp: (elisp).               The Emacs Lisp Reference Manual.
* Emacs Lisp Intro: (eintr).    A simple introduction to Emacs Lisp
                                  programming.

This will be info, a builtin hypertext documentation system.

Other source of hints and information are:

https://wikemacs.org/wiki/Main_Page

https://www.emacswiki.org/

And to up the spirit:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryHumor