-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of Tom
Brennan
Sent: Tuesday, September 5, 2023 12:58

TB> The instructions, registers, etc. are not that difficult to learn.  It's
the macros, control blocks, subsystems, interrupts, memory layout, SVC's, (and
I could go on and on) that can be the real value in doing ASM programming.  If
you're going to be a developer, or even installation sysprog, all that is
important.  Even when a C or Java or COBOL program fails, knowing how things
work at the bottom can be the key to solving the issue.

RHB> Reminds me of what I say about VBA.  The language is easy, but getting
useful in it requires knowledge of the object model of the app you're writing
for (Excel, Access or whatever).  That takes longer.  Come to think of it I
guess it's true of ~any~ oo language.

TB> Skip Robinson once told me he started as an ASM application programmer.
But I'll bet he was pretty-much the last one :)

RHB> Not ENTIRELY the last one.  I worked with an assembler programmer in,
let's see, that would be 2012.  I didn't think much of his debugging, but he
was impressively competent when given clear instructions on the algorithm we
needed.

---

/* If the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off it by now. */