Dave,

I'm not sure what context you are running in, but if you are running under
Language Environment, then you might look at the "z/OS Language Environment
Vendor Interfaces" book.

There are 74 hits of "environment variable" in this book, including in the
CEEEDB (enclave data block):

CEEEDBENVAR
CEEEDBENVIRON

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure that there are environment variables in USS
outside of what is provided by LE (and for example the LE C library).

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http:// <http://dovetail.com>coztoolkit.com