All speculation on my part. One system with no DASD, you need neither.
On a system with only one, of just a few DASD volumes, a VTOC is required to
say where on the volume a dataset is and the basic attributes of PS and PDS
datasets.

Once you get to several always mounted DASSD volumes, it becomes a pain to need
to remember and specify VOLSER in the JCL.

CVOLs where an early attempt to solve this problem. Then came  VSAM (and VVDS?)
and VSAM Catalogs, and somewhile later ECf/Catalogs. Followed by SMS and VVDS
for non-VSAM datasets