From:   David Crayford <dcrayf...@gmail.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu,
Date:   06/29/2013 03:32 AM
Subject:        Re: Great quote on http://slashdot.org (changes
frequently)
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu>

On 29/06/2013, at 10:00 AM, Shane Ginnane <ibm-m...@tpg.com.au> wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 07:19:12 +0800, David Crayford wrote:
>
>> ...I've come to the conclusion that REXX is a dog. And seriously
underpowered for modern use cases
>> ... Poor old EXECIO has never looked more pathetic.
>
> And I thought Dave was quicker on the up-take than that ....  ;-)
> But his recommendation(s) need serious consideration.
>
> Lua - yet another "language" to maybe have a look at. I seem to have
about half a dozen already "half-looked" at.

What you have to consider is what languages are available on z/OS. The
cupboard is pretty bare other than JVM languages which don't run in the
native environment. Most people consider mainframe modernisation to be
replacing green screens with GUI front ends. That's all well and good but
what I really yearn for are the tools that I'm used to on other platforms.
I chose Lua because its easy to port and I was already using it to create
cross platform mobile apps with the corona SDK. The z/OS ports of python
and perl are stale. Ruby and JavaScript are difficult to port to EBCDIC.

It's true that there are far too many languages to choose from. All of
them have strengths and weaknesses. Although Lua is well known as a video
game language and notorious for the flame/stuxnet viruses it runs
brilliantly on z/OS. Its so fast my colleagues thought I was tricking them
and running compiled code.

Quite a popular language
https://sites.google.com/site/marbux/home/where-lua-is-used

> Shane ...