On 6/29/2013 5:16 AM, David Crayford wrote:
On 29/06/2013 6:39 PM, Martin Packer wrote:
As EXECIO got mentioned...

In the Munich System z Technical University conference 2 weeks ago Marna
Walle mentioned that in z/OS 2.1 EXECIO is previewed to perform I/O to VBS
(as in "Spanned" :-)  ) data sets.

To me that says "SMF". And removes one "lameness" in EXECIO.

That's fab! when will it support VSAM?

The already-announced improvements to EXECIO are a direct response to SHARE requirements.

Re: the need for VSAM access from REXX, the requirement is accepted with the following caveat:

"Response Code: AC-Accepted Date: 2012-03-12 IBM agrees with the request and a solution appears to be desirable and feasible. IBM intends to provide a solution. However IBM's plans may change and no commitment is made that a solution will be provided. The requirement is certainly valuable, but will require a big hit to VSAM and VSAM RLS, involving, among other things, writing of thousands of lines of brand-new code to parse the REXX interface to generate actual VSAM and VSAM RLS requests. Will also need to collaborate with the REXX team in the effort. This is not a commitment to deliver the code, but if we do it it would be a line item and would take a few years before it can be delivered."

Speaking of SHARE requirements, the MVS Core Technologies Project Requirements Team, led by Cheryl Watson, is _as we speak_ soliciting SHARE member votes for a new "Top 40" ranking. All SHARE members should participate in this effort. http://www.share.org/p/cm/ld/fid=131

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc