On 7/4/2013 9:21 AM, Bernd Oppolzer wrote:
Ok. In this case you need no dump analysis;
the error message is sufficient (as is the case with
many system errors, for example S806 - system cannot
find module XYZ ...).

One of the first statements in my dump analysis handout:
we normally only cover S0Cx errors - for most other errors
we don't need no dump analysis. Simply look into
"MVS System Codes".

Kind regards

Bernd

Right. In our courses we take a similar approach:

1. Debug at the highest level possible
   (messages, codes, application outputs, source code, dump)

2. Always assume the error is in software (not hardware)
   unless definite proof to the contrary exists

3. Always assume the error is in your software (you are
   not likely to debug system errors), unless proof to
   the contrary exists

4. Use only the relevant information (keep it simple.
   Watch out for 'rapture of the dump'.)

Still, for 1) above, one mustn't be afraid of diving
into a dump if it's called for.

--

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-355-2752
http://www.trainersfriend.com

* To get a good Return on your Investment, first make an investment!
  + Training your people is an excellent investment

* Try our tool for calculating your Return On Investment
    for training dollars at
  http://www.trainersfriend.com/ROI/roi.html