>I would like to chime in and say that you started in exactly the right place
>for those of us who work where there is no >unix file system space regularly
>made available to application programmers.  ISV's and SP's can allocate and
>populate >unix file systems at will, while ordinary application programmers
>have no authority to perform such allocations.

>In my experience, SP's who have set up "automatic" allocation of "/u/tsouser"
>unix file system space for application users >is not common and requesting it
>requires a business case, not easily made by a mere application programmer.

I hear you Peter and I've been in that situation all along.
I also hear all the good things about using 'automated tools' and I probably
need to study about them.  On the other hand, when I did it the old way (PDS
and all), I had to actually go and intervene in the code, which when you have
the automated tools you tend not to do.  So by doing it my way I've gained some
flexibility and also could notice what would not work for the classic system
(hence my COBOL API).
The coming release (shortly) will definitely be the old way only.  I basically
finished all the leftover core functionalities that were missing in previous
releases, including Posix modules and PCREGREP that could handle PDS and PDSE
so I am getting ready to deliver.
For subsequent releases, I may opt for two versions, one with PDS, etc. to
accommodate you and the CBT-TAPE crowd, and the other perhaps using the Unix
side to get more in sync with the original product and to accommodate sysprogs
who might want to install it that way.  In any case, I do not intend (and this
is  pledge!) to abandon the old classic z/OS.

ZA