From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2013 12:07 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: C issue - 'struct stat'

On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 20:52:11 -0500, Ze'ev Atlas wrote:

>For subsequent releases, I may opt for two versions, one with PDS, etc. to
>accommodate you and the CBT-TAPE crowd, and the other perhaps using the Unix
>side to get more in sync with the original product and to accommodate sysprogs
>who might want to install it that way.  In any case, I do not intend (and this
>is  pledge!) to abandon the old classic z/OS.

fopen() will handle fopen( "//'data.set.name(member)'" ) and fopen(
"/UNIX/path/name" ) alike.  open() only the UNIX path.
So if you intend to support Classic data sets you are constrained to use
fopen().  Then handling UNIX paths is no additional code.

(Of course this constrains your users to those respective syntactic forms. But
you need some way of distinguishing the two species, and the C RTL convention
is as good as any.)