On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 07:17:27 -0700, Lizette Koehler wrote:

>DEF TED.MY.FILE ALIAS RELATE(BOB.MY.FILE)  then both BOB hlq and TED hlq
>must be in MYUCAT1

You can control which catalog the TED alias is created in, but if the
catalogs are different you lose either way.  If you create TED in
BOB's catalog, catalog search fails to find TED; if you create TED
in its proper catalog, catalog search fails to find BOB.

>I may have that backwards, but it is close.  Bottom line, the example IBM
>has in the book for doing this is very bad. I will be opening a request for
>updating that to a more reasonable example.    ...

Rather, that should be a Requirement that it be done right, not
a RCF for documentation that it is done wrong.

>    ... Second, from the document it
>appears that the HLQs should be in the same UCAT.  At least that is my
>understanding from reading the IBM doc (which is very nebulous at best).
>And I do not believe that you are required to use the CAT parameter in the
>DEF ... ALIAS RELATE(....) function

-- gil