Being a Linux bigot (only use Windows at work), I am wondering if there is
any documentation on SPFPRO or other ISPF-like environments. In particular,
do these products emulate all of ISPF or only the ISPF editor? Can the
editor run macros? If so, only REXX or can it use other scripting
facilities such as Windows "command" scripts or maybe even some other
scripting language?

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 8:30 AM, Dave Cole <dbc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Steve,
>
> I've been using SPF/PRO 5.04 for probably over a decade or more. My
> experience is the same as yours. When I tried it on WIN 8, it failed to
> start.
>
> I forget the symptom, but my PC guru, Frank, says, "64-bit WIN8 expressly
> prohibits 16-bit programs, and SPF/PRO starts up as a 16-bit program." He
> goes on to say that SPF/PC should work in 32-bit WIN8.
>
> In any case, personally I need SPF/PRO far more than I need WIN8, so for
> the foreseeable future, I'm keeping my business machines on WIN7.
>
> As for SPF/SE, when CTC first came out with it as a "replacement" for
> SPF/PRO, I was hugely disappointed. I don't remember all the details, but
> it was utterly incompatible with SPF/PC in its user interface, and IIRC, it
> no longer supported REXX as its macro language.
>
> Dave Cole
> ColeSoft Marketing
> 414 Third Street, NE
> Charlottesville, VA 22902
> EADDRESS:   dbc...@colesoft.com
>
> Home page:   www.colesoft.com
> Facebook:     www.facebook.com/colesoftware
> YouTube:
> www.youtube.com/user/**colesoftware<http://www.youtube.com/user/colesoftware>
>

> At 10/28/2013 06:04 PM, Steve Comstock wrote:
>
>> Has anybody gotten SPFPRO to run on Windows 8.1 (or
>> even 8.0, for that matter)?
>>
>> Looks like I'll have to give up one of my favorite tools.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> -Steve Comstock

This is clearly another case of too many mad scientists, and not enough
hunchbacks.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown