In <1285038259930504.wa.jmcd520gmail....@listserv.ua.edu>, on
11/11/2013
   at 08:41 PM, John McDowell <jmcd...@gmail.com> said:

>However neither of your points can overcome the fact that ISPF,
>most (all?) TSO commands, IBM utilities (e.g. IEBUPDTE, etc.),
>etc. impose the (arguably artificial and perhaps unfortunate)
>restriction of not allowing lower case alphabetic characters.

Those tools that have to deal with MVS datasets convert the names to
upper case because that is what the system requires. Likewise editors
with file types for JCL. With the exception of [BQ]SAM, none of them
gratuitously convert other data to upper case or treat lower case as
invalid. In particular, ISPF/PDF EDIT will quite happily allow a DD
statement with PATH='/lower/case'.