In <9831656372670249.wa.jmcd520gmail....@listserv.ua.edu>, on
11/12/2013
   at 11:18 PM, John McDowell <jmcd...@gmail.com> said:

>I honestly have no idea if you are agreeing with my position that,
>in the general  sense, dataset names are not allowed to contain
>lowercase alphabetic characters or if you are disagreeing with my
>characterization of the restriction as "arguably artificial and
>perhaps unfortunate".

Neither; I am disagreeing with your characterization of the utilities.

>In regard to your statement that "Those tools that have to deal with
>MVS datasets convert the names to upper case because that is what
>the system requires."  I have no idea what you mean by the term "the
>system requires".  If you are referring to either catalog processing
>or perhaps SMS I would agree, for other (system) components (e.g.
>allocation (absent SMS), DADSM, access methods (absent VSAM), etc.)
>I would say there is no such requirement.

I'm referring specifically to the C/I. If TSO commands did not
translate ddname and dsname operands to upper case, there would be
interoperability issues. Resaolving them by saying "The user shopuld
have typed them in upper case." would violate the principle of least
astonishment.

In principle you could use quoting in apostrophes to suppress UC
translation, but then you would run into catalog issues unless you
also had device and volser parameters to match.