On 11/14/2013 12:52 AM, Ed Gould wrote:
In the early 80's we had looked at JOL and came away with mixed feelings
about it.
I see it has been kept up to date (and thats good).
Maybe in a few years we will look at it again when our plate is not to
full.

I looked at it a few years ago, and just now, and decided it's not for my typical use. The documentation I read does not address allocation of a PDS, nor PDS concatenations, nor how to pick a concatenation set for ASM SYSLIBs. I didn't see a way to allocate a volume (without a data set), nor a specific unit. The documentation mentions card readers, but doesn't show whether that's a spooled data set or a physical unit. And my most frequent problem is allocating a 327x CRT (non-VTAM), only to have it fail because it's not ready or has an unexpected pending interrupt. But it looks like a solution for typical data processing shops.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, Vermont