In <3582382321328690.wa.zatlas1yahoo....@listserv.ua.edu>, on
11/24/2013
   at 11:43 AM, "Ze'ev Atlas" <zatl...@yahoo.com> said:

>I do not care so much about the actual implementation of the idea
>and its limitations.  Surely, with two antiquated OSes like z/OS
>and Unix (form the nineteen sixties and seventies) there are
>limitations which both OS publishers dare or dare not (as it may
>be) correct.  The issue is the concept, which, in my opinion, is
>better in the z/OS world.  And the concept is that the computer should
>know where the file is, not the user.

I don't see a conceptual difference between /foo/bar/baz and
DSN=FOO.BAR.BAZ. There is a conceptual difference in the working
directory, and that is that the TSO prefix is limited to 7 characters.
Dealing with a file in an unmounted file system in *ix is analogous to
dealing with an uncataloged data set, or one cataloged in an
unconnected user catalog.

>And the concept is that the computer should know where the file is,
>not the user.

That's the *ix philosophy more than the MVS philosophy.