I do not care so much about the actual implementation of the idea and its
limitations.  Surely, with two antiquated OSes like z/OS and Unix (form the
nineteen sixties and seventies) there are limitations which both OS publishers
dare or dare not (as it may be) correct.  The issue is the concept, which, in
my opinion, is better in the z/OS world.  And the concept is that the computer
should know where the file is, not the user.

Thanks for the information about locate.  I will surely use it.
ZA