I interpreted "little user" as "average Windows desktop user". I don't
think Ze'ev was trying to be pejorative, just trying to indicate a person
who isn't a techno-geek like most of us on the list.

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 6:56 AM, Gerhard Postpischil <gerh...@valley.net>wrote:

> On 11/25/2013 8:36 PM, Ze'ev Atlas wrote:
>
>> From the little user point of view, he/she knows the name of the
>> file.  As a matter of policy in most facilities (probably all), all
>> files that the little user do and/or care for are cataloged and are
>> somewhere in the DFSMS managed storage.  Thus, if he/she needs the
>> file, all need to be done is mentioning the name.  The 44 character
>> name is indeed a stupid limitation that need to go away. The same
>> thing about stupid limitation is the lack of standard catalog in
>> Unix.  That limitation needs to go away.
>>

> 1) "little user" sounds pejorative - was that your intent?
>
> 2) the 44 character limitation for the data set name is a justifiable
> limitation based on the original S/360 hardware and software limitations. I
> would hardly call it "stupid". However, I would welcome your detailed
> strategy for eliminating it, and what limit, if any, would you compromise
> on? How would you redesign the catalog, VTOC, JCL, etc. and justify the
> cost of the near rewrite of the OS and many user programs that use the JFCB?
>
> Complaining is easy, but developing a viable solution isn't. By
> comparison, a *nix catalog facility would be child's play.
>
> Gerhard Postpischil
> Bradford, Vermont

This is clearly another case of too many mad scientists, and not enough
hunchbacks.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown