> how do you distinguish /u/myid/somefile.txt from
/u/yourid/somefile.txt? Would the catalog have both entries? If so, then if
you reference "the file" via this catalog, which file do you actually
access?

I did give some preliminary thought to this.  To accommodate the current
concepts of  Unix (and Windows) hierarchical file system, such a catalog would,
for sure, need to have entries for all files, distinguished by, not only file
name, but also the absolute path, so the user could give partial path and find
the file.
Let's say (and this is common) you have a development and prod environments,
which are different only by some branch:

/aaa/bbb/dev/ccc/ddd/eee/fff/myfile vs. /aaa/bbb/prod/ggg/ddd/eee/fff/myfile

a possible way to find that would be something like (I use backslash as the
escape, in Windows we'll need to use slash :):

\dev\myfile vs. \prod\myfile ore perhaps, in more complicated environments:
\dev\ccc\myfile vs. \prod\ggg\myfile if the same file also exists in
/aaa/bbb/dev/ppp/ddd/eee/fff/myfile and /aaa/bbb/prod/rrr/ddd/eee/fff/myfile

this is only a concept and it comes to accommodate the peculiarities of the
Unix file system.  I may think of better ways to design the file systems of
both OSes to begin with, but we all know about the hindsight vision.

I did not give too much thought for the z/OS file naming because I know the
situation there is much more hopeless.  I am well aware about how the file
naming scheme is entrenched in the rest of the OS.  In that case Unix is much
more flexible and could be adapted to some standard catalog use is such catalog
would be developed and used.

I actually gave a thought for the possibility of developing such a product, but
I do not have the time and resources.  I would be willing to advise and support
anybody who may undertake such a project.

ZA