We'll, the JES2 has a address field consisting of 60 characters.

// DSNAME=data.set.name, ######## 80-10-10=60,
VTOC use a new DSCB value, like F7-9 for the Extended non-VSAM.
Catalogs require new key size so only new catalogs with the longer key size.
Control blocks: additional field with remainder of Dataset name?

Since IBM has SDSP for small migrated datasets, why not do something
similar for Live datasets?
If you close a newly created dataset, and it is 1 (maybe 2) tracks of
actual usage, how about saving it in a dataset.  VSAM ESDS,
Key=data.set.name+block number, contents compressed block up to 32KB.
Opening would read entire uncompressed contents into memory, update
rewrites blocks, etc.  Conversion to normal DSN if the entire file
can't be held in memory or reaches a set size.

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 6:56 AM, Gerhard Postpischil <gerh...@valley.net> wrote:
> On 11/25/2013 8:36 PM, Ze'ev Atlas wrote:
>>
>> From the little user point of view, he/she knows the name of the
>> file.  As a matter of policy in most facilities (probably all), all
>> files that the little user do and/or care for are cataloged and are
>> somewhere in the DFSMS managed storage.  Thus, if he/she needs the
>> file, all need to be done is mentioning the name.  The 44 character
>> name is indeed a stupid limitation that need to go away. The same
>> thing about stupid limitation is the lack of standard catalog in
>> Unix.  That limitation needs to go away.
>

> 1) "little user" sounds pejorative - was that your intent?
>
> 2) the 44 character limitation for the data set name is a justifiable
> limitation based on the original S/360 hardware and software limitations. I
> would hardly call it "stupid". However, I would welcome your detailed
> strategy for eliminating it, and what limit, if any, would you compromise
> on? How would you redesign the catalog, VTOC, JCL, etc. and justify the cost
> of the near rewrite of the OS and many user programs that use the JFCB?
>
> Complaining is easy, but developing a viable solution isn't. By comparison,
> a *nix catalog facility would be child's play.
>
> Gerhard Postpischil
> Bradford, Vermont

Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA