I think you forgot the <grin> in that post, Gil. z/OS is not for "the
little user". Neither is UNIX (nor Linux). For a true "little user", the OS
of choice might be CP/M-80 on an Altair. Or maybe an Apple ][. <grin/>.

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 9:15 AM, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com>wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 07:47:39 -0600, John McKown wrote:
> >
> >I am confused by this. What would you put in such a catalog? The absolute
> >path name plus file name, such as /u/myid/some/subdir/somefile.txt ? If
> so,
> >why? If you know the name, the system knows where it is. Or do you must
> >mean the file name without the path, such as "somefile.txt"? If this
> >latter, how do you distinguish /u/myid/somefile.txt from
> >/u/yourid/somefile.txt? Would the catalog have both entries? If so, then
> if
> >you reference "the file" via this catalog, which file do you actually
> >access?
> >
> Well, if the z/OS catalog paradigm is the ideal "[f]rom the little user
> point
> of view," the existence of the second instance of "somefile.txt" should
> be prohibited.  That way the "little user" never needs to know where to
> look for "somefile.txt" -- there's only one!  I'll go even further: the
> same
> member name should never be allowed to exist in two different PDSes.
> That way, the "little user" wouldn't need to know in which library to look
> to find a given named member.
>
> -- gil

This is clearly another case of too many mad scientists, and not enough
hunchbacks.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown