>>That's correct and that's where I took the idea from.  That concept
>>needs improvements

>No doubt, but so far you haven't identified any defect that a new type
>of catalog would resolve.

I have identified the defect pretty well, except that you refuse to see that
definition and go to circular arguments about semantics!
I will explain rather than define: In z/OS you are confined to 44 characters
and limited to however many levels could be expressed within that limit, but
you do not need to tell the system where the file resides because that
information is stored in the catalog.  In Unix, you do not have those length
and level limitations, but you need to be explicit in describing where the file
is or go through the trouble of creating symbolic links.
Both sides are awkward, require too much memorization and each one has a
glaring defect as identified above.

With the envisioned catalog, file names are not limited in length or form, yet
the system would know where do they reside.  In case of two (or more) files
that share the same name, a sophisticated implementation may either decide by
context (e.g. a file that is owned by the requester would be preferred to file
owned by somebody else - THIS IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE, PLEASE DO NOT GET INTO
SEMANTICS), or ask to disambiguate (e.g. supply only one level that is
different between the files - AGAIN, THIS IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE, PLEASE DO NOT GET
INTO SEMANTICS)

ZA