>Ze'ev appears to me to want to graft what are essentially interactive,
>conversational facilities onto JCL, which is a batch facility.  This
>may well be possible, but doing it will require careful thought and
>much experimentation/evolutionary operation.

I already concluded that the z/OS side may be hopeless because the limitations
of file name are too entrenched in the OS.  The Unix side (especially Linux
that is open source) is a better candidate.  No, I do not envision batch
oriented only features.  Once the file is committed in the traditional way
(conversational or batch), its location would be known, so when you say in the
shell (AND THIS IS ONLY ONE EXAMPLE):

cp filename ~/myfolder/myappfolder

filename will be found regardless of where it is.  If filename is common among
few files, the system may guess, using some algorithm (that indeed, needs much
experimentation/evolutionary operation in its development) which one you need.
Otherwise, you might be required to say (AND THIS IS ONLY ONE EXAMPLE):

cp --ppath myapp1 --date 01/01/2013-02/15/2013 filename ~/myfolder/myappfolder

If one bothers to give unique names and if the algorithm for dis-ambiguity
would be good, the first example would prevail most of the time.

Please forgive the yelling "(AND THIS IS ONLY ONE EXAMPLE)". While obviously we
need people to question all possible details so they would be answered and
thought about in the aforementioned algorithm. I do not want people to shoot
the idea down just because I referred to only one example.  I begin to have fun
in toying this ides!

ZA