In <8649425507335336.wa.zatlas1yahoo....@listserv.ua.edu>, on
12/01/2013
   at 12:20 AM, "Ze'ev Atlas" <zatl...@yahoo.com> said:

>I have identified the defect pretty well,

You waved your hands; you never identified a problem that a central
repository would solve.

>you refuse to see that definition

That would have been impossible; there was no there there. You, OTOH,
refuse to see the similarities between MVS catalogs and Unix
directories.

>go to circular arguments

Nonsense.

>about semantics!

You don't have the faintest idea what semantics are.

>I will explain rather than define: In z/OS you are confined to 44
>characters and limited to however many levels could be expressed
>within that limit, but you do not need to tell the system where
>the file resides because that information is stored in the catalog.

Except when it isn't.

>In Unix, you do not have those length and level limitations, but
>you need to be explicit in describing where the file is

That's nonsense.

>or go through the trouble of creating symbolic links.

Symbolic links provide an alias; they don't say where something is.
Alias resolution is as much a factor for legacy MVS catalogs and data
sets as it is for Unix paths.

>Both sides are awkward, require too much memorization and each one
>has a glaring defect as identified above.

The defect that you "identified" is imaginary.

>PLEASE DO NOT GET INTO SEMANTICS

The difference between having a usable backup and not having one is
"only semantics".