Hi list,

I'm confused - again.  I thought I knew how APF authorization works with JOBLIB
statements but apparently I don't.  Here's the background.  I'm installing a
new maintenance level of SyncSort.  According to the SyncSort manual, the only
library that needs APF authorization is the SYNCAUTH library which contains the
Dynamic Storage Management modules.

In addition, IDCAMS internally calls a SORT module by default when performing a
BuildIndeX function.

Here's my scenario.  I have batch jobs with JOBLIB statements in them.  In
order to test my SyncSort upgrade, I have added the SYNCLINK and SYNCRENT
libraries to the JOBLIB concatenation.

Where I'm hitting the problem is IDCAMS BIX function.  When I run the IDCAMS
job with just the normal JOBLIB without the SyncSort libraries in it, the job
runs fine - presumably using the SyncSort currently in the LinkList.  The
JOBLIB is not APF authorized because it has a mixture of authorized and not
authorized libraries in it.  I add the new SyncSort libraries to the JOBLIB and
the IDCAMS fails with a S306-0C abend and message "CSV019I REQUESTED MODULE
SS14RC02 NOT ACCESSED, IS IN NON-APF LIBRARY/CONCATENATION".  Module SS14RC02
is linked AC=0 and is in the SYNCRENT library.  I added all the JOBLIB
libraries to the APF list and the IDCAMS step runs fine.  I then add a non-APF
authorized library to the JOBLIB and the IDCAMS step STILL runs fine!

Why is IDCAMS demanding that non-APF module SS14RC02 be loaded from an APF
authorized library?

If IDCAMS requires APF authorization for called modules, why does IDCAMS work
when the JOBLIB is supposedly not authorized by introducing a non-authorized
library to the JOBLIB?

TIA

Rex

The information contained in this message is confidential, protected from
disclosure and may be legally privileged.  If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
distribution, copying, or any action taken or action omitted in reliance on it,
is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this
message and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard
copy format.  Thank you.