On 1/21/2014 5:24 PM, Jim Mulder wrote:

  From a hardware design engineer:
<quote>
All hardware instructions perform at the same speed in 64-bit mode or
31-bit mode.  I assume the AMODE(31) and AMODE(64) he is referring to
only affects the addressing mode, but the exact same instruction
sequences are used in both cases. If different code sequences are being
used, then all bets are off.  My first statement applies to the
exact same code sequence in 64-bit addressing mode versus 31-bit
addressing mode. A few millicoded instructions do have slightly
different path lengths depending on addressing mode, but even that
is not common.
<endquote>

Perhaps JG's assertion is actually about "grande" instructions vs "normal" instructions. Our benchmarks show grande instructions are ever-so-slightly (<2%) slower than their non-grande counterparts. Example: L vs LG.

Of course, the instruction path for the six-byte grande "LG" benchmark code is 50% larger (in terms of space occupied, not instructions issued) than its four-byte non-grande "L" counterpart, meaning more i-cache is required to run it. So, perhaps that is to what this <2% difference is attributable.

Either way, it's something we consistently observe...

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc