From:   Phil Smith <p...@voltage.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU,
Date:   03/07/2014 12:34 PM
Subject:        Re: [OT ] Mainframe memories
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

>Anyone have 360 "Emergency Pull" stories?

This is secondhand, but I heard of operators playing Frisbee in the
machine room and-yeah, emergency PUSH button, no guard. I've used that
story to explain to people why there's a guard over it.

I also heard of a manager being in the computer room when some sort of
alarm went off-maybe just a tape mount request warning-and hitting the BRS
"to make the noise stop". Well, it stopped. Along with everything else.

And I fondly remember the Red Room, aka "The Pit", at UofWaterloo. This
was a two-story computer room with classrooms and terminal rooms
surrounding it on the second level, with glass walls so you could look
down into the room and watch the operator ignoring your tape mount. OK,
that wasn't the intention, but it was what happened-you'd see the operator
reading; submit your request; see the op look up, read the message, and go
back to his book.

That became less of a good idea once I was on the Systems staff and could
go down and yell at them, but of course by then I mostly wasn't working in
the public terminal rooms!

...phsiii