Many years ago I was hired by a large bank as a business analyst. I'd worked in
a branch of the bank, but I knew nothing about computers. My boss figured I
needed to know some basic computer concepts to deal with programmers, so he
gave me a COBOL manual to read. When I got to chapter 3, it gave an example of
a very small program that displayed something  on the console and accepted
something from the console. I thought it looked simple enough so I'd give it a
try.

I typed in the program and modified it slightly to display "What is the second
largest city in England?", accept the answer, and display "If you said
Birmingham, well done". I wasn't sure how to run it, so I went to the command
line and typed RUN, EXECUTE, GO (etc.), and of course none of them worked. I
asked a co-worker for help, and he said I needed to compile my program. "Huh?"
I said, so he showed me how to do it. "Can I run it now?", "No", he said "You
need to link it". So then he showed me how to do that. By now I was getting a
bit frustrated with the complexity of running such a small and simple program.
"Can I run it now?" I asked, and he said "No, you need to create some JCL to
run it". So then he helped me set that up. Finally, I submitted the JCL and sat
back in anticipation of seeing the question pop up on my screen.

Instead of seeing the question what I saw instead was a "job completed"
message. I was completely confused. How could the job complete if I hadn't seen
the question and hadn't had a chance to respond to it? I turned back to my
co-worker and asked him for help. He very patiently explained how to check the
output from my job, and took me to where I needed to go to see it. I started
scrolling through what seemed like a lot of output for such a very small
program, and finally I saw my question "What is the second largest city in
England?". Directly beneath that it said "Manchester". My mind started to
whirl, and I couldn't understand what was happening. I hadn't typed in
"Manchester", so where on Earth did that come from? Had the mainframe attempted
to answer my question? And if so, how could such a big and powerful computer
manage to get the answer wrong?

I turned to my co-worker again and told him I didn't understand what was
happening. He asked to see my program, and I showed it to him. He started
laughing, and called everyone over to see what the new guy had done. I sat
there while everyone laughed, and finally my co-worked explained that "display
upon console" meant one of the busy operators in the computer operations center
of the major bank where we all worked had saw my question flash up on his
console screen and had tried to answer it!

I cringed while everyone laughed, and figured my probation period had probably
just come to an untimely end. I waited for my phone to ring or for someone to
come and escort me out of the building. Fortunately that didn't happen. But I
often wonder who answered my question, and what went through their mind when
they saw it pop up on their screen?

Dave Salt

SimpList(tm) - try it; you'll get it!

http://www.mackinney.com/products/program-development/simplist.html