jcew...@acm.org (Joel C. Ewing) writes:
> And the IBM 4341 supported System/370 architecture, so "VM/370" was
> indeed supported on the 4341 and was probably what the author intended.
>
> I believe the CP-40 and CP-67 precursors of VM/370 required more than
> just S/360 architecture; namely, a S/360 model that was
> hardware-enhanced to include a form of hardware virtual memory support,
> which subsequently evolved to become part of S/370 architecture.  So not
> only is Seymour correct that VM/360 did not exist, but it would also be
> inappropriate to retroactively think of CP-40 or CP-67 as equivalent to
> a "VM/360", since both required more than basic S/360 architecture.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2014d.html#16 [OT ] Mainframe memories
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2014d.html#22 [OT ] Mainframe memories

Bob Creasy (manager of cp40 effort) sent me copy of his cp40 speech he
gave on seas (european share) 1982 ... I ocr'ed it and put it up
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/cp40seas1982.txt

basically the science center had done the hardware modifications to add
virtual memory support to 360/40 ... pending the availability of the
standard ibm product with virtual memory ... 360/67. When they
were able to get standard 360/67 virtual memory machine, cp40 morphs
into cp67. posts mentioning science center
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech

50th anniv of science center just passed a month ago ... mentioned
in previous post in this thread.

Melinda Varian did detailed history that was available
at share and also early versions were posted on vmshare ... tymshare
had made its cms-based online computer conferencing available to
share for free starting in AUG1976 ... archives available here
http://vm.marist.edu/~vmshare
melinda's current home page ... scroll done for the detailed history
http://www.leeandmelindavarian.com/Melinda/

lots of customers had been convinced to order 360/67 to run the
"official" ibm virtual memory operating system, tss/360 ... however
tss/360 had difficulty making it to production level ... so many
locations just ran the machine as 360/65 with os/360.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TSS/360

However a couple locations wrote their own virtual memory operating
systems for 360/67. Univ. of Michigan wrote MTS (michigan terminal
system) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_Terminal_System

MTS was ported to 370 and was in use at numerous locations ...  MTS
customers also were the early adopters of clone processors. A large east
coast financial datacenter was planning on being the first commercial
"big blue" customer to install a clone processor (would be a red box in
a datacenter with enormous sea of blue boxes) because the local branch
office had done something that had made them extremely angry. I was
asked to spend six months at the customer basically obfuscating why the
customer was installing the box. I was use to periodically visiting the
customer and knew the people well and also knew that my being onsite
would have no effect on their decision ... so I refused (I had been told
that the CEO would be grateful if I made it look like it was my failure
that the customer installed clone processor ... so the refusal wasn't
exactly career enhancing decision ... along with periodically ridiculing
the FS effort).

Stanford wrote Orvyl (Wylburwas original implemented on Orvyl before
porting to MVS).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORVYL_and_WYLBUR