On Sat, 8 Mar 2014 05:42:47 -0600, Walt Farrell wrote:

>It does seem odd that the CALL command would simply hang. But yes, I believe
>that LINKMVS will work in cases where CALL won't.

Of course, LINKMVS supports multiple parameters, such as alternate DDNAME
lists; I don't know that CALL does this.  And there are syntactic limitations.
know that with LINKMVS I can pass a parameter consisting of a single apostrophe;
I don't know how to do this with CALL.  (Perhaps "call *(IEFBR14) ''''"?).  And
CALL limits me to 100 bytes in the parameter; LINKMVS allows 32767.  (With
LINKPGM, I can craft longer parameters -- I've tested with 65535 with BPXBATCH,
which appears to treat the count as unsigned.  Don't try this with ASMA90!)

And there's the APF concern.  IIRC, I've been compelled to use CALL because
CALL will ATTCH a module authorized (subject to restrictions discussed earlier
in this thread; LINKMVS always ATTACHes unauthorized.  But you can use
the magic SVC, if you've installed it, to twiddle the AUTH bit.

>I also believe that Dave meant "I was told by IBM that I _have_ ISRSUPC in
>SYS1.LPALIB, rather than _don't have_.  CALL expects to find its target in the
>standard library search order (Tasklib (including STEPLIB/JOBLIB), Linklist)
>and I do not think it will find a module that is only in LPA. LINKMVS (also
>LINK, LINKPGM, and probably the ATTACH variants) will find things that are
>only in LPA, and I believe that explains why LINKMVS worked for him.

I had (mis-)understood that "CALL DATA.SET.NAME(MODULE)" simply
allocates DATA.SET.NAME as a tasklib and performs a conventional
ATTACH.  "CALL *(MODULE)" performs no additional allocation,but uses
the existing search order.  Isn't LPA always in LINKLIST?  Is there any
way to exclude modules in LPA?

What have I misunderstood?

(On occasion, I've wished for an analogous "EXEC *(MEMBER)".)

-- gil