On 10 March 2014 10:57, Anne & Lynn Wheeler <l...@garlic.com> wrote:
> I would tend to use the distinction that for the psect, a private copy
> was loaded and adjusted for the specific virtual address space location
> ... separately from (r/o) memory mapping the executable image with no
> requirement for pre-loading and/or changing ... allowing the same exact
> (r/o) executable image to concurrently occur simultaneously in different
> virtual address spaces at different virtual addresses (with just a per
> virtual address space private copy of the psect having been preloaded
> and swizzled).

The overlay scheme used in HASP II had fixed-sized modules that were
read into an available area without relocation. If the space was
needed, when the first module got control again it could be loaded at
a different address. But the trick was that these tasks were never
preempted, so it was permissible to have a register containing an
address within the module, as long as it was made relative before
(loosely) calling the dispatcher, which might result in relocation.

Tony H.