VTAM is the pre-req, not TN3270.

It depends on the method of *TERMINAL* attachment. If via VTAM, TN3270 is not
needed for anything/

TN3270 is merely TCPIP on one side and SNA on the other...

HTH,

<snip>
We are running z/os 1.11  and had a strange issue on one of our systems today .
Our shop is a sysplex of 4 LPARS . Today after IPL , In one of the LPARS which
came up last , TCPIP started fine ,but OPSMVS didn't mark it up and several
other dependent tasks were waiting . The surprising thing to me which happened
was TN3270 was never started ,but TSO was up and I was able to logon to the
system . The other 3 LPARS were fully functional with all the tasks up as
expected . But the last system which came up had this problem

I always thought that TN3270 was pre-requisite for anybody to logon via TSO ,
Am i missing something here ? Can somebody clarify my doubt please ?
</snip>