OP did not mention z/VM, but z/OS. So I'll bet DDR is not in the picture.
The OP would need a standalone ADRDSSU (or FDR) IPLable tape. And maybe an
IPLAble ICKDSF tape. Which, if his system is _down_, he cannot create.

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 2:53 PM, Karl Severson
<karl_j_sever...@raytheon.com>wrote:

> >Last summer we had a DS6800 go casters up. IBM couldn’t fix it. We ended
> up restoring everything to a DS8800.
>
> So is the DS8800 a more robust unit? I'm beginning to think the DS6800 on
> this system is a lemon.
>
> > doubt you can IPL from tape because you don't have some of the requisite
> volumes, e.g., page packs, available.  In your environment I would perform
> standalone restores  until I had an IPLable system. Then I would IPL and
> restore whatever is left.
>
> The UTILITY UTILTAPE command will create a bootable tape which will start
> a DDR session so that volumes backed up with DDR can be restored.
>
> Karl

There is nothing more pleasant than traveling and meeting new people!
Genghis Khan

Maranatha! <><
John McKown