Rex,

  Have you tried using REPRO (IDCAMS) to unload it to a flat file
(vb/9160/27998) and see if it goes clean or issues an error message which
may be more informational. If no error, try to repro 'reuse' back over the
file with the unloaded record. Being there are some counts in the splits
field, there has to have been a bunch more records. See if this mini reorg
fixes it.

John Clifford
IBM consultant