From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John McKown
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 3:26 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: VSAM question/problem

I don't know VSAMUTIL, but it likely looks at the catalog statistics. With
VSAM, the catalog statistics are _NOT_ guaranteed to be correct. In fact,
your LISTC has this warning it the listing:

STATISTICS  (* - VALUE MAY BE INCORRECT)

The only way to "fix" this is to delete/define/reload the data set. There
is no way to reset the catalog statics any other way. The catalog
statistics can become corrupted if a program has the data set OPEN for
OUTPUT or UPDAT and then abends. In this case, the in-memory catalog
statistics are not put in the catalog entry, and it is flagged as "not
necessarily correct". So, in fact, no problem. Except with programs which
assume that the statistics are "golden" and make decisions based on them,
rather than actually reading the file itself.

--
There is nothing more pleasant than traveling and meeting new people!
Genghis Khan

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

The information contained in this message is confidential, protected from
disclosure and may be legally privileged.  If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
distribution, copying, or any action taken or action omitted in reliance on it,
is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this
message and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard
copy format.  Thank you.