On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 23:26:05 -0700, Ed Jaffe wrote:

>IIRC, when Greg Lotko referenced these same statistics during his
>keynote address at SHARE in Boston, he mentioned that approximately 40%
>of those "new" customers were z/OS.

I wonder where I was at the time - I'm pretty sure that would have piqued my
interest had I been present.

>Having said that, my understanding is that this count of "new" customers
>includes customers that completely reversed previously confirmed,
>in-progress business plans to migrate off the mainframe. IMHO, it is
>completely fair to count them as "new" since their moribund 9672s
>running just a few hard-to-kill apps under OS/390 V2R4 have now been
>replaced with zEC12s running z/OS 2.1 and a renewed business focus to
>move work onto the platform.

They're not all "moribund 9672s" - a local customer here was turfing out a
couple of 196s and had to hurriedly roll in a couple of EC12 when the backflip
occurred.
And no, unlike yourself, I don't count them as "new".

Shane ...