On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 13:19:31 -0500, John Gilmore wrote:

>One formats the text of an IDENTIFY control statement as a sequence of
>character set symbols that are card images.  AINSERT is then used  to
>'save' them, and AREAD is used to put them into the output.

Feels a lot like PUNCH.  This really ought to be an assembler intrinsic,
or at least in SYS1.MACLIB.

>I would be happy to work through an example with you.

Thanks.  The descriptions are in HLASM and/or Binder manuals; I'll
try to RTFM if desired.

>On 11/30/14, John Gilmore wrote:
>> About Linker IDENTIFY control statement Paul Gilmartin wrote
>>
>> The answer is yes.   The only sequencing requirement is that a
>> sections IDENTIFYs must follow it (or, of course, its insertion
>> point).

"follow it"?  The "it" being:

o The ESD record that introduces the CSECT?
o The first TXT record of the CSECT?
o The last TXT record of the CSECT?

I don't know how much control HLASM gives over position of
AREAD (PUNCH?) output relative to ESD and TEXT records.

We have a SECTIONPROLOGUE convention (that can't be the
name of a library macro (alas); it's at least a SYSPRINT eyecatcher.)

If this were to be incorporated in a MACRO;

AINSERT is deferred; elaborated only upon return to open code.
If (probably) the AREAD must follow the elaboration of the
AINSERT, can the AREAD be AINSERTed?

This might be of little use.  Either the customer sends a dump, in
which case we rely on TXT eyecatchers, or we (less probably) ask
for a query of the SMP/E MOD entry, in which case the desired
information appears as the RMID subentry.

We already do some postprocessing of SYSPUNCH (in order to
insert SMP/E CSECT arguments).  We might insert Binder
IDENTIFY commands there, also.

Thanks again,
gil