By the way, ISTR the HP product was OPEN-VIEW. There were others players
besides CA  and HP in the space as well.

All of the products were predicated on a single "log" of events (not processed
on z hardware), and were doing more than just logging/storing messages.
As the number of messages processed increased, performance degraded
(non-linearly and rapidly).

There were operating system, application, and hardware bottlenecks, (common to
all vendors, just at different "choke" points).
Of course, "ours is the best",  came from all of the vendors as well.

HTH,

<snip>
On 5/12/2014 11:23 PM, Staller, Allan wrote:
> <snip>
> I really like some of the new centralized logging systems like
> http://logstash.net/. It can handle loads of different sources and sinks and
> when you throw in the full power of elasticsearch searching for interesting
> data is an order of magnitude more powerful then what we currently have on
> z/OS. You can throw your distributed systems into the mix for a nice holistic
> view of your entire stack.
> </snip>
>

> The last time I was involved in this in a serious way, all of the "central
> loggers" (Ca-UNICENTER, HP-???,.....), regardless of the underlying HW
> platform,  all ran into scaling issues as the quantity of data being
> processed increased.

Can you remember what the bottleneck was? When you consider that you can buy a
32-core server with SSD disk for peanuts and network latencies are dramatically
shrinking  it may not still be the case. I know it's heresy on this list but in
the distributed world they would just add another server and/or add more grunt
to the network.

</snip>