> Which is harder to parse than, e.g., SMF.

Depending on your background. You and I think fixed-length binary and
character fields cheek-to-jowl are peachy-keen; the UNIX-y folks are
appalled and want something in delimited character form and more-or-less
human-readable.

> Only if ISO 8601 requires including the offset. Also, how does ISO 8601
handle fractional time zones?

ISO 8601 does not *require* an offset but it does *permit* the designator Z
(for Zulu=UTC) or an offset. Offsets are specified in hours and minutes. (No
provision for fractional minutes <g>.)

Charles