On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 7:57 PM, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) <
shmuel+ibm-m...@patriot.net> wrote:
​<snip>​

> >And I will admit that my mind has been
> >corrupted by using Linux too much lately.
>
> Isn't the Linux equivalent to, e.g., SMF, harder to parse?

​Hum, I was thinking more of the UNIX syslog daemon stuff. I've never
touched the accounting information. I don't think that many do in UNIX. ​

> >So, if such a thing is even needed any more, what might it look
> >like?
>
> IMHO a new generalized event log, replacing SMF et all, should
> timestamp in both global and local time, possibly UTC plus offset. It
> definitely should support LOGGER.

​Wouldn't including both UTC & local time in ISO8601 be redundant? But
perhaps, since you like binary, it would be better to make this the STCKE
value and the CVTLDTO field, and maybe the CVTLSO field as well.​

> >I know most will moan,
>
> Indeed.
>
> >but I _like_ structured, textual, information.
>
> I hate it. I prefer well structured binary.

​Well, the reason for my preference for textual data is the unfortunate
fact that where I am now has _NO_ tools on the z/OS platform for data
reduction and reporting. Well, other that what I personally code in HLASM,
REXX, or COBOL. "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a
nail." But I don't even have a hammer on z/OS, I only have a rock. Hammers
are too high tech, expensive, and unnecessary. (not grinning)

> >program name in the RB
>
> ITYM CDE or LPDE pointede to by the RB.

​Yes, I guess I should have said "associated with" rather than "pointed
to". Poor choice of words on my part.​

> >JS TCB
>
> What if the event is logged from an SRB?

Hum, I don't do much with SRBs personally so that just slipped past me.​

> How should character data be encoded? EBCDIC would be reasonable if
> there was only a single EBCDIC code page, but as it is UTF-8 might be
> better.

​OK, I was hoping for something that I could ftp to my Linux box _easily_
(which is why I prefer "no binary"), which I have set up using the
"en_US.UTF8" locale. So UTF-8 would be nice. I'm just not sure of the
translation from EBCDIC to UTF-8. Perhaps we will agree _NOT_ use
UTF-EBCDIC?​

--
The temperature of the aqueous content of an unremittingly ogled
culinary vessel will not achieve 100 degrees on the Celsius scale.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown