edgould1...@comcast.net (Ed Gould) writes:
> So, it was IBM saying if you don't run VM, FY?  I think the many MVS
> sites would take exception to that.  From my perspective VM was OK
> some things but not for PRODUCTION.  VM was a sand box so the real
> work was to be done on MVS.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2015.html#84 a bit of hope? What was old is new
again.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2015.html#85 a bit of hope? What was old is new
again.

depends on what you mean by "real work". Nearly all "online", "network"
and various other kinds of "real work" inside IBM ... went on with VM.

there was the virtual machine based (initially cp67, then vm370),
world-wide online sales&marketing support HONE system ... and by
mid-70s, an IBM mainframe couldn't be ordered w/o having been processed
on HONE. some past HONE posts:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#hone

when I first transferred from Cambridge
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech

to San Jose Research, they let me wander around various locations in
silicon valley (there use to be a joke that I worked 4shifts a week, 1st
shift in SJR, 2nd shift in disk engineering, 3rd shift in STL, now SVL,
and 4th shift/weekends at HONE).

when I first transferred, I found the disk engineering and development
lab was all being done "stand-alone", mainframes being scheduled 7x24
for testing. At one point they had tried to use MVS (allowing multiple
concurrent testing), but in that environment, MVS had 15min MTBF
(hang/fail requiring manual restart). I offerred to rewrite I/O
supervisor so that it would be bullet proof and never fail, enabling.
multiple concurrent, on-demand testing ... significantly improving
productivity. I wrote an internal document describing all the
enhancements ... and happened to include the MVS 15min MTBF reference
... which drove the POK MVS over the edge (not that I couldn't prove it
true, but that I had made the information public inside IBM) ... and I
was eventually told that while they couldn't actually get me fired, but
they would be able to make sure that I never got an corporate award for
the work.

One of the other side-effects was since it was my software, any problems
disk enginneering would constantly suck me into working on their
problems. They also start insisting that I sit in on conference calls
with pok channel engineers. past posts mentioning getting to play
disk engineer in bldgs. 14&15
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#disk

old email reference that 3380s about to ship and MVS system is
hanging/crashing in *all* the standard FE error injection tests (and in
2/3rds of the cases, MVS leaves no indication what caused the failure).
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007.html#email801015

note that the internal network originated at the cambridge science
center (virtual machine based) and was larger than arpanet/internet from
just about the beginning until sometime in the middle 80s. Most of the
nodes were vm370 and much of source development went on vm370 systems
(even for mvs based products). part of the issue was severe limitation
with the MVS networking support ... limit on max defined nodes were much
less than total number of internal nodes ... also mixed up design so
networking & job control information was intermixed in headers
... resulting in traffic between dissimilar MVS releases crashing MVS.
As a result, any MVS systems were restricted to edge nodes, fronted by
VM370 systems that had special code that would convert all header
information into exact format required by the directly connected
specific release of MVS.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#internalnet

Note that this wasn't SNA ... at least not until the late 80s when the
communication group insisted that it convert to SNA ... which was major
factor leading to its demise.

the same technology was also used for the corporate sponsored university
network BITNET (EARN in europe) which was also larger than
arpanet/internet for a time. some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#bitnet

Also, the original relational/sql System/R was developed on 370/145
vm370 at san jose research in the 70s. STL was responsible for IMS
... but nearly all the developers did their work on vm/cms. The followon
to IMS was EAGLE ... and while the corporation was preoccupied with
EAGLE, it was possible to get tech. transfer for System/R to Endicott
released as SQL/DS. When EAGLE finally imploded, they wanted to know how
fast could System/R be ported to MVS ... eventually released as DB2.