edgould1...@comcast.net (Ed Gould) writes:
> yet IBM never delivered a source code "maintenance" system. Something
> that practically everyone was in need of.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2015.html#84 a bit of hope? What was old is new
again.

science center did the multi-level cms update source maintenance system
as part of joint project with endicott to implement cp67 370 virtual
machine emulation on 360/67.

the non-virtual memory 370 emulation was originally used by branch
office HONE online cp67 systems to test new operating systems.

the full virtual memory 370 emulation was used for development of 370
virtual memory operating systems (i.e. 360/67 cp67 virtual memory
machine emulation was in regular production use a year before 370
virtual memory hardware became available).

cp67 distribution was always full source ... and customers typically
built their systems from the source. This continued with the vm370
followon ... new releases had single source file per module ... and then
monthly maintenance&enhancement distributions was done via incremental
add-on updates ... with cumulative source included updates included on
every monthly maintenance&enhancement distribution. New releases would
merge the incremental updates into base source file and things would
start again ... accumulating increasing number of incremental source
updates.

SHARE waterloo updates and customers used the same process for their
source changes ... and large part of internal development did also
(which accounted for the origin of a lot of the OCO-wars). Not that new
releases ... besides past incremental updates being incorporated into
base source files ... there could also be large amount of new
function/code added ... never before seen by customers as incremental
updates ... increasing the difficulty of release to release migration.
Tools were developed (both inside & at customers) that would analyze new
source releases and pick out differences from the latest previous
release (with all maintenance/changes applied) to facilate the release
to release source transition.

There were also periodic internal fights ... where various MVS-based
product (like JES2) did all their stuff with CMS source maintenance
... but were required to convert to the "official" internal MVS process
for final integration.

Note after FS failure
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#futuresys

q&d 3033 (starting out as 168-3 logic mapped to 20% faster chips) and
3081 efforts were kicked off in parallel as part of mad rush to get
stuff into the 370 product pipelines.

during the 3033 product life, there started to be minor (supervisor
state) tweaks made to the machine which were mandatory for new operating
system releases. The clone makers initially responded with operating
system patches to work with non-tweak hardware. As patching the
operating system was made more and more difficult, the clone makers
eventually responsed with "macrocode" ... basically 370 instructions
running in new machine mode that would implement the tweak features
.... this enormously simplified the implementation of such features
... compared to the enormous difficulty involved in generating native
microcode. This shows up in 3090 timeframe when clone vendor has used
macrocode to create "hypervisor" support ... and it was a much larger (&
longer) effort for 3090 to eventually respond with PR/SM.

In the current timeframe, things could be construed as customers having
their own programming support staff represents money that could
otherwise be spent on vendor software&services (2012 claim that
processor sales represented 4% of revenue ... but total mainframe group,
including software&services was 25% of total revenue and 40% of profit).

The same efforts to inhibit clone vendor patches ... also increasingly
made it difficult for customers to move their changes to new releases
(they either stayed on their old hardware or moved to new clone hardware
that worked with the older releases). The OCO-wars could be viewed as
both inhibiting new operating system versions working on clone
processors and minimizing customer migration latency to latest software
releases and hardware models.

One of the worst case examples starts during the FS period, I continued
to work on 370s (and periodically ridicule FS). Also one of my hobbies
was producing highly enhanced production operating system distribution
for internal datacenters (science center was on 4th flr of 545 tech sq,
and multics was on 5th flr of 545 tech sq, at one point I would needle
the multics crowd that I had more internal datacenters running my
enhanced operating systems than all the datacenters in the world running
multics). Anyway, for some reason, one of these versions was made
available AT&T longlines ... which then made a lot of their own
enhancements and distributed it throughout a lot of AT&T. Nearly a
decade later the IBM AT&T national sales rep tracks me down to ask me to
help with AT&T. The decade old operating system, AT&T would apply the
patches to move to the latest 370s ... except it didn't have
multiprocessor support ... and initially the 3081 was going to be a
multiprocessor "ONLY" machine. Large parts of AT&T was looking at moving
to faster, newer, clone (uni-)processors ... because they were dependent
on this decade old operating system (that didn't have multiprocessor
support).

As an aside, if the original AT&T relationship had continued ... about
18months after they got the original (internal) version ...  they could
have gotten an update with multiprocessor support. past posts mentioning
multiprocessor
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#smp

past posts mentioning the science center
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech