First off, I highly recommend userlog data sets. Implemented here nearly 20
years ago. Solved the problem of SYS1.BRODCAST filling up. You get to choose
the name. I somewhat regret setting 'BRODCAST.userid'. It makes them very easy
to find, but users have no clue that they exist. Not all bad.

As for clearing out a full SYS1.BRODCAST, you can use the SYNC command to
reformat it. You lose all undelivered messages. There are also some tools on
CBT to clean it out with a finer blade.

The problem with SYS1.BRODCAST is that every message gets stored there even for
a defunct userid that will never see the message. A userlog, whatever you call
it, is created automatically by the user when logging on or issuing LISTBC.
Hence a defunct userid never creates a userlog. You can set up userlogs in
IKJTSOXX such that a transition takes place: SYS1.BRODCAST is checked for
messages before userlog, so that old messages are not lost.

.
.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson