From:   Timothy Sipples <sipp...@sg.ibm.com>
To:     IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Date:   03/07/2015 08:53
Subject:        Re: Forbes: IT Professionals Don't Have What The Tech
Industry Wants
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>

One should not overinterpret the available wage evidence. Businesses do
have reasonable needs to bring in foreign workers and managers at least
for
some period of time. Export-oriented businesses, for example, really do
need to have staff circulation to/from overseas in order to boost their
exports. It's also fairly easy to imagine skills requirements that only a
foreign worker could address in reasonable fashion within a reasonable
period of time. I imagine there's not a super abundance of experts in
German contract law (and German language contracts) living in Peoria,
Illinois, for example, but that sort of skill might be super important to
particular employer.

Some countries -- Japan comes to mind -- have a ratio (or at least a ratio
sanity check) policy, meaning that employers are permitted to bring in X
number of foreign workers as long as they maintain or better yet increase
the number of local workers by some multiple of X. Perhaps that ratio
varies by profession or industry to some extent. That sort of approach
would appear to address at least the bulk of employers' needs.

To summarize, foreign workers can and should be welcomed...within a
reasonable immigration policy. "Reasonable" means based on the economics
and reality. Just to pick an example, I'd really like to see even more top
university graduates in the U.S. be able to pursue careers in the U.S. if
they wish and under reasonable terms. That sort of approach would be
pro-skills, pro-talent. As another example, as I understand it the current
H-1B visa program is tied to a specific sponsoring employer. In my view
foreign workers shouldn't be captive to a specific employer. They should
be
able to "jump ship" for better working conditions and compensation, at
least after, say, 120 days. Otherwise (in my view) some of their employers
would be tempted to exploit them in various ways including compensating
them below market rate for their skills.

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM z Systems, AP/GCG/MEA

E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com

Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.