ibmm...@computersupervisoryservices.com (Stephen Mednick) writes:
> Looking to find the answer to the question "in which year did IBM release
> its DF/DSS backup & restore product.

some trivia from the web
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/blogs/InsideSystemStorage/entry/ibm_storwize_product_name_decoder_ring1?lang=en

In my post January 2009 post [Congratulations to Ken on your QCC
Milestone], I mentioned that my colleague Ken Hannigan worked on an
internal project initially called "Workstation Data Save Facility"
(WDSF) which was changed to "Data Facility Distributed Storage Manager"
(DFDSM), then renamed to "ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager" (ADSM),
and finally renamed to the name it has today: IBM Tivoli Storage Manager
(TSM).

... snip ...

Note: I had originally developed CMSBACK in the late 70s that was used
at a number of internal sites (including the online world-wide,
sales&marketing support HONE). It went through a number of internal
releases at San Jose Research ... which morphed into Almaden research
when research moved up the hill in the mid-80s. Ability to back up from
distributed systems was added and then released to customers as
workstation datasave facility. some past email
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#cmsback

It was picked up by the storage division ... and renamed ADSM ... adstar
storage manager ... storage division had been renamed adstar as part of
reorganizing the company into the 13 baby blues in preparation for
breaking up the company (then the board brought in a new CEO to reverse
the breakup and resurrect the company).

The company acquired Tivoli (started by a couple former IBMers that had
been at the rs/6000 workstation group in Austin) and ADSM was moved
to Tivoli morphing into TSM.

We spent some amount of time consulting for the ADSTAR VP of software on
number of items ... not just ADSM, he also was behind the original
MVS/USS development ... and provided funding for some number of non-IBM
storage related startups. I've mentioned several times:

A senior disk engineer got a talk scheduled at communication group
world-wide internal annual conference supposedly on 3174 performance
... however he opened the talk with the statement that the communication
group was going to be responsible for the demise of the disk
division. The issue was that the communication group had strangle hold
on datacenters with its strategic ownership of everything that crossed
the datacenter wall and was fighting off distributed computing and
client/server trying to preserve its (emulated) dumb terminal paradigm
and install base. The disk division was seeing data fleeing to more
distributed computing friendly platforms with drop in disk sales. The
disk division had come up with a number of solutions to reverse the
trend, but they were constantly vetoed by the communication group.

As attempted work-around (to the communication group) the VP of software
would fund non-IBM efforts to provide mainframe distributed computing
and part of what he had us do was try and keep track of some number of
these activities.